Apr 18, 6:30pm-8:30pm
Spaceworks @ Williamsburgh Library, 240 Division Avenue, Floor 2
Want to learn more about applying for affordable housing?
Since many artists and other workers in the gig economy have income that is episodic, fluctuating, and from several different sources, the seminar will explore different methods for calculating and verifying annual household income. The workshop will also provide historical context, an overview of affordable housing programs, and updates on the City’s housing plan.
The application process will be explained in simple steps and will help you to avoid common mistakes. Information regarding income eligibility and documentation will be discussed to address the specific needs of arts workers. The seminar will address the following questions:
- How do you find and apply for affordable housing?
- What are the eligibility requirements? (Income, household size, credit, housing history, etc.)
- How does a housing lottery work?
- Can you get on a waiting list?
- How do you document your income if it fluctuates year to year?
- How can you best prepare yourself for an interview?
- What are your options if you are denied?