Mar 29, 7:00pm-9:00pm
Spaceworks @ Williamsburgh Library, 240 Division Avenue, Floor 2
An evening focusing on community storytelling and art-sharing grounded in our identities, cultures and creative expressions.
Free! Catering by Brooklyn-based I Eat Lao Food.
The Circle serves as a gathering that honors all voices and invites stories, wisdom and arts into our collective while seeking to offer different communities an interpersonal space in which we may courageously listen to each other, speak our truths, express our talents and act with clear intentions.
Enjoy Special Performances from:
- Peggy Robles-Alvarado, Poet, Writer, Educator, Artist, Robleswrites Productions; Spaceworks Bronx Community Artist Grantee
- Melinda González, Co-Founder of BombaYo; Member of El Puente Presente CADRE; and Spaceworks and El Puente CADRE Dance Lit Grantee
- Vivika Westwood Mugler, Community Organizer, Advocate, Artist, Choreographer, Director, Entertainer
Hear from Guest Storytellers:
- Shanelle Washington, Next Generation NAACP Committee Mid-Manhattan Branch, Co-Chair; Neighborhood Advisory Board, Vice Chair; Education, Youth and Libraries Committee, Vice Chair; Manhattan Community Board 10
- Abou Farman, Artist, Writer and Activist; Founder of Art Space Sanctuary; Assistant Professor of Anthropology at The New School for Social Research
- Mauricio Higuera, Artist and Educator, Art Space Sanctuary; Administrative Assistant for Public Programs and New Projects at The Cooper Union
We will discuss how as artists, organizers cultural workers and members of the Spaceworks community, we can connect our work and amplify our stories to urgent issues such as equity and inclusion.
Please bring something that’s meaningful to you or your culture: an instrument, a piece of writing, flowers, a candle, artworks or any items you would like to share!
Online ticket sales are now closed for this event.